POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Mozilla and these newsgroups : Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups Server Time
20 Jul 2024 18:34:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups
From: Roz
Date: 12 Apr 2003 22:51:27
Message: <3e98d0af$1@news.povray.org>
Gergely Vandor wrote:
> Roz wrote:
>
>>My original post in this thread was to see if I could duplicate the
>>behavior described by Gergely as follows:
>>

>>>http://news.povray.org just throws me to the welcome/settings page
>>>every time, clicking the button at the bottom just reloads that page.
>>
>>So naturally I went to http://news.povray.org in order to test it
>>and I did end up seeing the same looping behavior. It doesn't say
>>anywhere on there to try to go to a particular newsgroup first.
>

> I've reinstalled Mozilla to see if I can reproduce the problem with a fresh
> install, because it was working well last time. Now I have the problem
> again. Silly me! :) But the fact that it worked well last time means there
> _is_ a solution.

It seems like once it gets the cookies setup that it wants setup, it
works fine to go directly to http://news.povray.org .  But in order to
get it to behave that way you'll have to first go to one of
the specific newsgroups within it such as
http://news.povray.org/povray.unix .  That'll still redirect you back to
the Welcome page but at least clicking the Enter Newsgroups button will
no longer loop back to the Welcome page.

>>A natural progression for a new visitor would be something like
>>first going to http://www.povray.org, following the resources link
>>and then following the POV-Ray Newsgroups link. At the top of that
>>page it says :
>

> I don't think it's unnatural to start from http://news.povray.org . I always
> do that and I don't think that makes me a pervert. :)

Starting at http://news.povray.org seems fine to me and I don't think
you're a pervert ;)  I was only trying to point out to Thorsten that
even going from the POV-Ray home page, a person could end up in that
same loop.

>>Some people may be drawn into starting there before clicking one of
>>specific newgroup links below. Perhaps that was what Gergely did
>>to get into the looping pattern in the first place. If you do go
>>that route, then you do end up in the looping pattern under
>>Mozilla (unless of course you've been there in the past and still
>>have the cookies set).
>

> So starting with http://news.povray.org is where I went wrong?

With Mozilla, yes for some weird reason. Once the cookies get
set correctly then it'll be fine to go directly there.

-Roz